CNN allows us all to breathe a sigh of relief knowing that Seacrest Out and Carson Daley aren’t scrapping over Dick Clark’s New Year’s Eve vacancy.
Carson Daly has dismissed the idea that he and Ryan Seacrest are in a rivalry to replace New Year’s Eve icon Dick Clark, who suffered a stroke two years ago.
“Dick Clark is a huge inspiration for the huge success he’s achieved,” Daly told the Los Angeles Times in a recent interview. “But that’s where I stop. The world is changing. I’m young; I have my own thoughts as a producer. I’m not trying to keep his tradition. I’m trying to do my own.”
Both Daly and Seacrest will return Sunday night as competitors in their second New Year’s Eve as Clark, 77, continues to recover from a 2004 stroke.
Clark, a former host of American Bandstand, has reported on the madness in New York’s Times Square for viewers nearly every year since 1972. Last year Seacrest, who hosts the popular television show American Idol, took over much of the broadcast for Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve, a three-and-a-half hour show broadcast on ABC. He returns in that role again this year.
Daly will host NBC’s “New Year’s Eve With Carson Daly,” which starts at 11:30 p.m.
More on Ryan and Carson after the jump.
Last year’s “Rockin’ Eve” was Clark’s first national TV appearance since his stroke. He plans to return for at least a small role again this year.
“He and I have a great relationship. Whatever he wants to do, whether he wants to do more or less than last year, I’ll do it,” Seacrest said.
Carson’s still around? All I know is that he broke up with Tara Reid, and then got scary thin. So either she gave him something which I’m not going to speculate about, or the break-up was so traumatic that all he eats now are shredded tissues and some asparagus. Whatever, all that matters is that we want the original Dick, not these two fake dicks. Yeah. What?