Swell People: Natalie Portman
I want to dislike Natalie Portman so badly. She gorgeous, she’s successful, she’s teeny-tiny. All signs point toward “Boo, you whore.” But I can’t. She’s just so damn cute and likable. I learned a few things about Ms. Portman in the January issue of Marie Claire.
1) She wore Armani to her senior prom. It was the same dress she wore to the premiere of Star Wars: Episode I. It had to be returned afterward.
2) She’s a full-time vegetarian and a fairweather vegan. Current status: Vegan. Reason: Co-star Tobey Maguire brought his own vegan chef to the set of their new movie, Brothers.
3) Her first movie: The Professional.
4) She’s a good friend. Close pal Rashida Jones says Portman “would fight beasts 10 times her size to protect the people she loves.
She is the kind of friend who can sub in and love you through the times
when you can’t necessarily love yourself.”
5) Since Portman’s been working since a young age, she didn’t have much time for tom-foolery until her twenties. “‘OK, so I didn’t really go to high school parties,’ she says, ‘and
yeah, I didn’t touch pot till I was in my 20s. I didn’t get flat-out
drunk until I went to college. But I think that’s a good thing in many
Video: Natalie Portman raps in an SNL digital short from last year. Bad-ass.
Gallery Info: Natalie Portman featured in the January issue of Marie Claire.