And what a banner year it was. Between regional engagements, the Diamond Jubilee celebrations and the Summer Olympics – oh right, and the promise of a baby in 2013 – Britain was top dog.
It was was a tough task to select only five moments, because I loved every royal minute of 2012. Though the best and brightest moments were captured on video, it’s wise to give honorable mention to the following:
1) Kate’s outing with the Duchess of Cornwall and Queen Elizabeth to Fortnum & Mason. This was the first time we saw all three senior female royals together, and you could tell that Kate was keen to step back and let Her Majesty shine. Inside, the ladies clucked like hens over sweets and teas, with Kate urging Camilla to come over to where she was at one point to sample some candy. A tip of the cap to Kate for purchasing her M Missoni coat at the outlets, BTW. ILYKM.
2) Kate’s oh-so-regal presence at Our Greatest Team Rises Olympic concert in May. The Duchess of Cambridge stepped out of her chauffered car in the most delicate Jenny Packham teal gown. Once we got over the lace detailing, we spent the next hour studying her intricate up do.
3) No, I didn’t forget that excellent pair of J Brand skinnies Kate sported at Olympic Park back in March. She picked up a field hockey stick, shot the ball around, and the while not a hair of hers fell out of place. #WIN
4) Garden parties at Buckingham Palace are cooler. Garden parties at Buckingham Palace with the Duchess of Cambridge are even cooler. HRH had a grand old time with other members of the royal family and those who waited in a receiving line to have a chat with the 30-year-old, who recycled a pink Emilia Wickstead dress for the occasion. And that hat was icing on the cake, no?
5) The DoC’s first-ever speech, delivered at East Anglia Children’s Hospice, was written by Catherine herself. For the occasion, she wore a recycled blue Reiss dress (also worn by her mum, Carol a few years back).
Sound off: What were your favorite royal moments of this past year?