Ryan Lochte cleared of all charges in Olympics Rio scandal
The athlete had been under fire after he “over-exaggerated” details of an alleged robbery that occurred during the 2016 games in Rio.
Lochte was previously charged with falsely communicating the details of alleged gunpoint robbery when he and three teammates, Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger and Jimmy Feigen, stopped at a gas station to use the restroom after a night of partying following the conclusion of the swimming competition at the Rio Games.
An appeals court on Thursday reversed that decision, 2-1, ruling that Brazilian law was not broken because Rio police had initiated the investigation, not Lochte. Whatever Lochte said in the interview with NBC did not constitute a false report, the court concluded. The decision has not yet been published and prosecutors have 15 days to decide whether they will challenge the ruling.
“We are pleased that the court has finally dismissed the criminal prosecution against Mr. Lochte, while at the same time, appropriately recognizing that he committed no crime. It has been a long year, but in the end, justice prevailed,” said Jeff Ostrow, Lochte’s Florida-based attorney, in a statement to USA Today Sports on Friday.