And from the looks of these pictures, Maguire seems haggard… and heavy.
Here’s the hot list of relatively unknowns:
1. Jamie Bell: 24, English actor who’s kept it proper in period films. You might remember him from his small role in King Kong. Steven Spielberg has casted him in the title role for The Adventures of Tintin (2011), which might make Spider-Man an easy, comic book hero leap.
2. Alden Ehrenreich: 20, has some heavy weight names noting his talent. Discovered by Spielberg, his leap to fame was in Francis Ford Coppola‘s Tetro (2009).
3. Frank Dillane: 19, the Brit who played the young “Tom Riddle” in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. This just wreaks Robert Pattinson wouldn’t don spandex, let’s make another break out Potter star.
4. Andrew Garfield: 27, still flying under the radar it seems. Had a bit in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and will be in David Fincher’s
movie about Facebook, The Social Network.
5. Josh Hutcherson: almost 18, he has a few cute movies under his belt, Bridge to Terabithia and Journey to the Center of the Earth, and I’m hoping he can make the jump from kid star. That and his Journey sequel won’t put him out of the running with claims of scheduling conflicts.
Columbia won’t comment on the casting process, but if they want to begin production by the end of the year, they better dispel the rumors and pick a Peter Parker.
And please pick someone who won’t look like a child in that Spidey suit.