Ian Somerhalder, Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley And ‘The Vampire Diares’ Hunks Hit Comic-Con 2012 [PHOTOS]
With a fourth season on the way, the cast and creative team assembled, including executive producers Julie Plec and Kevin Williamson, to offer a Q&A to the CW series’ devoted fans, delving into the engrossing characters and fascinating world the show has built, as well as what we’re bound to see in The Vampire Diaries’ future.
For star Nina Dobrev, having Elena go through this pivotal transformation will be challenging.
“It’s always been fun to make Elena and Katherine different,” she says. “How do you make Elena the vampire version of herself and different from Katherine? That’s [going to be a challenge for season four]. I think that’ll be defined from her experiences.”
“Everything’s going to be heightened,” Dobrev added.
Other highlights from the panel…
- They’re gearing up for graduation, but that’s not to say that it’ll happen this year. On the way there, there’s a lot of “deep, emotional, twisted stuff,” Plec said.
- Damon spent the first three seasons trying to be something he’s not in order to please those around him, but Damon in Season 4 will not be doing that anymore. “He is not a nice guy,” Somerhalder said ominously.
- Matt (Zach Roerig) was partially at fault for Elena’s fate since she forced Stefan to save Matt after the car crash. Surprisingly, though, that may bring him closer to Elena. Williamson noted that Matt will continue to be a very important person to vampire Elena because he may be able to keep her grounded. “I don’t know if it’s the season of Matt, but I think it’s the season of Matt trying to stay human,” Roerig added.
- It doesn’t sound like Elena’s doppelganger will be around this season. “Katherine will not show her little face until Klaus [Joseph Morgan] is no longer a threat,” Plec said.
- Since Mystic Falls has a dearth of adults now, Meredith (Torrey DeVitto) will be staying in town. “She’s part of the family now,” Plec said.
- Elena may have chosen Stefan in the season finale, but her transformation will change the dynamic of the trio’s relationship. “One really cool thing is Elena is a badass vampire girl and she can take care of herself finally,” Somerhalder said. “It’s going to add a really interesting dynamic between the three of them. She’s going to need help from these two, and the three of them are going to learn a lot together in a very short amount of time.”
- Original witch: Esther (Alice Eve) may be called the original witch, but that doesn’t mean she actually is. “We call her the original witch, but where did she come from and who was before her and where did that spell come from to create the original vampires?” Plec noted. “That’s actually a big question and something we’ll be asking this year.”
Are you looking forward to the new season?