Dennis Quaid Talks About How His Kids Almost Died

March 14th, 2008 // 3 Comments

Dennis Quaid spoke out about how a mistaken overdose of medication almost killed his twin newborns this past November. This is a friggin’ scary story. My total respect goes out to the doctors and nurses who save our lives and care for us everyday. But mistakes happen. I remember when the health columnist for The Boston Globe (I used to be an intern there) got an overdose of chemo some years ago and it killed her. Uh, ouch? There’s no need to be battling cancer and have the chemo kill ya! That’s rough! Can people stop for a second and read the directions?

Quaid’s babies Thomas Boone and Zoe Grace Quaid were hospitalized due to a suspected infection, and then mistakenly given an overdose of Heparin, which is a blood thinner normally given to adults.

“Our kids are bleeding from everyplace that they’ve punctured,” says Quaid. “They were working on Boone, whose belly button would not stop bleeding – blood squirted across the room. It was blood everywhere. It was a life-and-death situation,” Quaid describes in an interview that will air on 60 Minutes this Sunday. Holy shite! Children should not be shooting blood out of their navels. Hell, even Paris Hilton shouldn’t be shooting blood out of her navel and that bitch sucks!

Quaid and his wife Kimberly are suing Baxter International, the drug manufacturer. And Dennis plans to start a foundation to fund the battle to weed out medical mistakes in hospitals. I don’t see that happening anytime soon, but good luck. And nice cap, by the way.

Photos: WENN

More photos of Dennis Quaid greeting fans are after the jump.

(Hint – Right-click on the image thumbnails with your mouse to open them in a new tab or window.)

Photos: WENN

By J. Harvey
asl

  1. DruNken LauRen

    I work at a hopsital and we have a 10 minute TIMEOUT… what this means.

    EVERTHING stopps before and injection, a cut, surgery what ever… and employees verify each others, meds, procedure, doctors orders, what ever…. so nothing goes IN a patient before it is verified by a 2nd employee…. example: i get an injection, read the note from the doc and verify the pts’ name and all… then i say to the my co-worker, verify that what is to be done is he correxct: pt, name of med. doze, right foot big toe, whatever… then after the 2nd person verifies it… then the shot is given, or the surgery begins…. that is how we check each other to provent pt error… we LOVE our patients and we would hate to hurt them… my heart goes out to the nurse that made the error, i can say in favor, that to be a nurse you 1st of all have to care for people… she made a terrible mistake, but that is what it was, a mistake!!!!!

  2. Robin

    What a moronic thing to say that hospital mistakes are bigger than AIDS and Cancer!

  3. Robin

    What a moronic thing to say that hospital mistakes are bigger than AIDS and Cancer!

Leave A Comment