Dennis Quaid spoke out about how a mistaken overdose of medication almost killed his twin newborns this past November. This is a friggin’ scary story. My total respect goes out to the doctors and nurses who save our lives and care for us everyday. But mistakes happen. I remember when the health columnist for The Boston Globe (I used to be an intern there) got an overdose of chemo some years ago and it killed her. Uh, ouch? There’s no need to be battling cancer and have the chemo kill ya! That’s rough! Can people stop for a second and read the directions?
Quaid’s babies Thomas Boone and Zoe Grace Quaid were hospitalized due to a suspected infection, and then mistakenly given an overdose of Heparin, which is a blood thinner normally given to adults.
“Our kids are bleeding from everyplace that they’ve punctured,” says Quaid. “They were working on Boone, whose belly button would not stop bleeding – blood squirted across the room. It was blood everywhere. It was a life-and-death situation,” Quaid describes in an interview that will air on 60 Minutes this Sunday. Holy shite! Children should not be shooting blood out of their navels. Hell, even Paris Hilton shouldn’t be shooting blood out of her navel and that bitch sucks!
Quaid and his wife Kimberly are suing Baxter International, the drug manufacturer. And Dennis plans to start a foundation to fund the battle to weed out medical mistakes in hospitals. I don’t see that happening anytime soon, but good luck. And nice cap, by the way.
More photos of Dennis Quaid greeting fans are after the jump.
(Hint – Right-click on the image thumbnails with your mouse to open them in a new tab or window.)