Now that the holidays are over and you have resumed your normal eating patterns and exercise routine, you probably need to loose 5 or 10 pounds. Without dieting here are a few easy tips to get the ball rolling to shedding the “holiday weight gain”.
1. Leave behind three or four bites of your meal. Research shows that people usually eat everything they’re served, even if they’re not hungry.
2. Skin your chicken after cooking it. You’ll retain moisture yet still strip away 148 calories and 13 grams of fat.
3. Eat your sandwiches and burgers open-faced, with one slice of bread instead of two.
4. Trade in your chocolate bar (235 calories) for a glass of light chocolate soy milk (120 calories). Silk chocolate soy milk is yummy and its great for a post workout drink!
5. Use butter-flavored nonstick spray, not a tablespoon of margarine or butter, to make grilled-cheese sandwiches and eggs.
The rest of the top 10 tips are after the jump.
6. Order a white-wine spritzer (80 calories) instead of a mixed drink (about 180 calories).
7. Hold the cheese, please. A single 1-ounce slice of cheddar has 113 calories. On salad and pasta, sprinkle on one tablespoon of grated part-skim mozzarella (36 calories).
8. Ditch the maple syrup and top your pancakes and waffles with a dusting of confectioner’s sugar and cinnamon or a tablespoon of low-sugar jam. Skip the butter entirely and cut even more calories.
9. Top salads with a half cup of crunchy celery instead of a quarter cup of croutons. Same crunch effect but without the carbs!
10. Make substitutions at brunch: poached eggs instead of fried, lean Canadian bacon rather than regular bacon, or fruit salad in place of home fries.
With these ten tips you should be able to drop a few ponds over the next month without having to go on a crash diet!