Are you a guy struggling to speak “One Direction”? Would you not know 1D from The Wanted even if you were trapped in a small recording studio with them? Do you feel left out when people start singing Live While We’re Young in your presence?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then today’s Boys Guide To One Direction is for you!
It’s a handy reference guide to help you speak with confidence to new friends who love 1D – and win over enemies who didn’t like you because you weren’t quite in the know about the lads. You’ll even be ready to go see One Direction: This Is Us, opening in theaters everywhere August 30th.
The Boys Guide To 1D (AKA 1D 101)
- One Direction is made up of friends Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne, Harry Styles, and Louis Tomlinson. Learn these names. Be able to recite them from memory.
- The band came together after failing to advance on the X Factor UK. Do not get this confused with American Idol or Britain’s Got Talent.
- The band owes a lot to Simon Cowell and Nicole Scherzinger. Both urged the band to reform as One Direction after their misfires on X Factor.
- The group’s first hit single was “What Makes You Beautiful”. This would be a good time to memorize the lyrics.
- Harry Styles dated Taylor Swift for a while. When taking sides over why they broke up, always defend Harry (and confess concern about his broken heart).
- Louis Tomlinson is the oldest member of the band. He’s 21, but never refer to him as “old” in front of fans.
- Collectively, the members of One Direction have over 25 million Twitter followers. Go make yourself one of them. Immediately.
- Their second huge hit was “Live While We’re Young” – The song came off of the group’s second album, Take Me Home. Don’t get it twisted.
- One Direction’s upcoming documentary is called One Direction: This Is Us. We recommend purchasing a couple of advance tickets and having them “accidentally” fall out of your wallet during casual conversation.