One of my first CDS ever (you’re either a casette tape, a CD or an mp3) was Mariah Carey‘s self-titled 1990 debut album; “Someday” was my beat.
Today at the Television Critics Association summer tour, Carey officially confirmed that she’s American Idol‘s newest judge . The megastar was put on speakerphone to make the big announcement, according to People. ”I am so excited to be joining Idol,” she said. “First of all, I wanted to be there today and I wish I could’ve been there to tell you, but I think you know this all kind of just happened real quickly, so I can’t wait to get started in a couple months.”
My expectations are low, given that reality singing competitions are a dime a dozen these days, with Britney, Christina and Kelly Clarkson doling out compliments and critiques. I am, however, a little bit excited about Carey taking a seat on Idol.
1) Carey’s list of demands must be outrageous, and I eagerly await a leaked copy.
2) Jennifer Lopez performed way too much on the show. I’m hoping for half as many performances from Carey, with hits that pre-date 1999 (I’ll give “Heartbreaker” a hall pass).
3) The overuse of “dahling.” It just works with her. In fact, I see a drinking game made in its likeness.
4) Carey can get sassy, and I’m quite looking forward to her telling off a few lippy hopefuls and making them cry.
5) I can’t wait to see how Carey delivers the bad news to very sweet Hollywood hopefuls. Lopez was a bit too nice at times, and Carey fans are just looking for her to keep it real.
Are you looking forward to seeing Carey on Idol?