Exercise fads come and go, but like most things in life, the classics always seem to do the job. Such is the case with dancing – one of the best ways to get in shape and stay that way – and have a blast while doing it.
With VH1’s new scripted series Hit the Floor airing Monday nights at 9/8c, we couldn’t think of a better time to hit the dance floor!
So grab a partner, a pole or just hop in front of the mirror – and get ready to enjoy our top 10 reasons why dancing is the best workout ever.
- It burns calories. A single dancing session can help you burn between 250 and 400 calories. Not too shabby for something where salsa music (and not eating salsa) may be involved.
- You can amaze and delight your friends. Just like walking into a room and being able to play a piano, being able to sweep your friends and loved ones off their feet with dance can make you the life of the party.
- You’ll be more coordinated. Dancing really improves your hand-to-eye coordination and timing skills. You may start out learning to dance, and end up mastering kung fu.
- It puts you in a better mood. Upbeat music makes you happier, sure. But dancing also helps you release crucial endorphins that control the “feel good” centers of the brain.
- You won’t be a stranger. Dancing classes and clubs help you get out there and meet new people. Who wants to talk over a drink when you can share a tango or a waltz?
- Good for the joints. Dancing is a “weight-bearing” exercise, which means it helps fend off osteoporosis and build stronger joints.
- You’re speaking a new language. It may sound corny, but travel anywhere in the world, and you’ll be able to communicate with the folks there because you know “the language of dance.” What other kind of exercise regimen can boast that? Do they speak “spinning” in Prague? Didn’t think so.
- There’s solid goal setting. Trying to lose a certain number of pounds or burn a finite number of calories gets old fast. But with dance, you can let your accomplishments out on the dance floor be your goal structure.
- It’s the ultimate combination of exercise disciplines. It’s hard to imagine another type of exercise that mixes in so much good stuff. From isometric to isotonic, and everything in between, dance has you and your body covered.
- Dance makes exercise fun. Even if you have the best playlist in the world, spending hour after hour with your earbuds in on an elliptical machine is no replacement for getting out there and hitting the dance floor for a couple of hours each week.
Want to see some dancers in truly terrific shape on the court, but maybe less so off it?
Hit the Floor, a brand new scripted series on VH1, follows the lives and loves of the Los Angeles Devil Girls, the premiere dance team in all of professional basketball – and answers the question: Ever wondered what it’s like to go behind the scenes with the gorgeous ladies of a pro hoops dance team?
Hit the Floor airs Mondays at 9/8C only on VH1.